Running a strip club might seem like a fantastic business to outsiders – with all that glitz, glamour and of course, those naked ladies. However, the legalities can be a minefield to maneuver through at the best of times. It takes a lot more than you would think, so next time you visit strip clubs in Budapest, bear in mind the complexities and reasoning behind some of the rules in place.
Legalities of Striptease
Since the beginning of time, stripping has been seen as not only an art form, but also as public nudity. Cultural and legal attitudes across the world differ greatly, which is why the regulations surrounding strip clubs can vary enormously. This is why it is so important to check out the rules of any strip club you might be thinking about visiting, because what might be seen as appropriate in one country may not be in another.
In good old Blighty in the 30s, the first strippers had to stand still when they were fully nude, as the rules were that they weren’t allowed to move when naked. Luckily, this didn’t apply to Lord Chamberlain’s rulings on private members’ clubs, so by the 60s, this loophole was being regularly exploited!
The ‘Policing and Crime Act’ was introduced in 2009 because of the growing number of strip clubs across the country. A license is now required for any venue offering nudity and entertainment for sexual gratification for profit. These are generally lap dancing or gentlemen’s clubs.
The touching of strippers is not allowed in the UK and a client can be ejected from the club if they do this.
The rules vary from state to state in America; in some places, there is a ‘6-foot rule’ where strippers have to maintain a 6-foot distance from clients if they are topless or nude. In other states, full nudity and bare nipples are banned! It is also part of the regulations that clients are not allowed to touch the strippers in any way.
Here are some weird and wonderful rules from the world of strip clubs…
New York’s 60/40 Rule
In the Big Apple, a business can only assign 40% of its square footage to adult entertainment. This means that the other 60% must be a form of non-adult entertainment. This is why the Penthouse Executive Club has the New York Dolls Bikini Bar out front and the rest is a steakhouse!
If you visit the Beaver State, you’ll be pleased to discover that there are barely any rules. Since 2005, pretty much all of the strict rulings have been lifted, so the state’s fully nude, full-liquor bars are extremely lenient when it comes to nakedness. As long as there is no prostitution, live sex shows are legal!
Merkins Not Allowed!
‘Merkin, an artificial covering of hair for the public area’.
In Washington State, performers have to be at least 6 feet away from patrons when they are naked. The strangest rule here though is that strippers are not allowed to ‘wear or use any device or covering that is exposed to view, which stimulate the breast, genitals, anus, pubic hair, or any portion thereof’. They mean Merkins. You’re not allowed to wear a Merkin!
4Play Lounge Gentlemen’s Club – Budapest
At 4Play Lounge, we have only a few rules that you need to keep in mind:
– You have to be more than 18 years old to enter the club.
– We take responsibility for only those clothes and bags left in the cloakroom.
– Taking of photos and videos is not allowed at the club.
– You can touch the dancers but not during a table dance.
– Our dress code is smart casual.
– Propositions and shouting or inappropriate language is not allowed.
– Smoking at the club is not allowed – you must keep a distance of 5 meters from the entrance if you smoke outside.
Always check the rules if you’re going to go to a strip club in another country. Rules can differ enormously – whereas you can touch the strippers in Budapest strip bars, you’re barely allowed to look in some places around the world!